With a long and narrow land mass spanning the borders of China, Laos, and Cambodia, Vietnam is one of the most varied countries in Southeast Asia. From the scenic mountains of Sapa and iconic limestone karsts of Halong Bay, to the multicultural old towns scattered across the country, Vietnam is a treasure trove for all types of travellers.
Country Code: +84
Time Zone: GMT +7 hours (1 hour behind Singapore)
Peak Travel Period: Oct – Apr
Four Seasons: Yes (Northern Vietnam), No (Southern Vietnam)
Currency: Viet Nam Dong (VMD)
Tap water: Unsafe. Drink filtered or bottled water
AC Socket Type: Types A, C & D – 110 / 220V 50Hz
Due to heavy influences from China for thousands of years, the Vietnamese language similar to Chinese languages, with many borrowed vocabulary from Chinese languages.
- Hello – Xin Chao (sin chow)
- Thank you – Cam on (kahm uhn)
- Sorry – Xin Loi (sin loy)
- Goodbye – Tam Biet (tarm byeet)
- Can you speak English? – Ban noi tieng anh duoc khong? (Banh noi thien an durkh khom)
- Yes – vang (north), da (south)
- No – khong