With an increasing number of foreign tourists visiting Portugal each year, this sun-kissed country has much to offer. From the best egg tarts on the planet at Pasteis de Belem to sunbathing in a pool right next to the ocean in Porto Moniz, this tropical destination is the perfect place to spend your summer vacation.
Country Code: +351
Time Zone: GMT (8 hours behind Singapore)
Peak Travel Period: Mar – May, Sep – Oct
Four Seasons: No
Currency: Euro, EUR (€)
Tap water: Safe to drink
AC Socket Type: Type C & F – 230V 50Hz
English is fairly common, but speaking a few Portuguese words will instantly elevate your status as a tourist who bothers!
- Hello/Good morning – Bom dia (boa tarde)
- Good afternoon – Boa noite
- Goodbye – Tchau
- My name is (I am) – Meu nome é (Eu sou)
- What is your name? – Como é seu nome?
- Good/Great – Que bom
- Do you speak English? – Você fala inglês?
- Thank you (very much) – (Muito) Obrigado (or obrigada, if a woman is speaking)
- Excuse me (to apologise) – Desculpe
- Excuse me (taking leave or getting past someone) – Com licença