Kenya is home to the Masai Mara National Reserve, where the Wildebeest Migration takes place. Said to be one of the Seven Natural Wonders of Africa, the annual event sees millions of wildebeests, zebras and gazelles journey through Tanzania and Kenya.
Country Code: +254
Time Zone: GMT +3 (5 hours behind Singapore)
Peak Travel Period: Late Jun – Oct
Four Seasons: No
Currency: Kenyan shilling, KES (KSh/K)
Tap water: Not safe to drink
AC Socket Type: Type G – 240V & 50Hz
Both English and Swahili function as official languages in Kenya. While Swahili is spoken as a first language mainly in coastal regions, it is a second language to almost 70% of the population. Less than 20% of the population have some competence in English. Here are some phrases you might find helpful!
- Hello – Jambo/Hujambo/Salama
- Nice to meet you – Nafurahi kukuona
- Goodbye – Kwa heri/ Kwa herini (more than one person)
- Yes – Ndiyo
- No – Hapana
- Thank you (very much) – Asante (sana)
- Where is the bathroom? – Ni wapi choo?
- How much is the fare? – Nauli ni kiasi gani?
- How much is it per night? – Ni bei gani kwa usiku?